Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Strive & Thrive: Biology Learning



We have been working through Apologia Biology and my son finds the reading very interesting. As he reads he is working on written narrations explaining what he learned, what he found interesting and his own opinions on different topics and material.

Serendip
As he works I really wanted to increase his activity level and understanding with specific concepts with more hands on experiments, data collection and incorporate more Inquiry Based Learning to make things even more interesting while studying Biology.

I found this really great resource that really helps me do just that. The resource link is called Serendip and is by Dr. Ingrid Waldron and Dr. Jennifer Doherty who are out of the University of Pennsylvania.

Their topic sequence can be used for Biology learning and/or used in conjunction with a spine you have chosen for learning these principles. I thought it might work nicely with what we are doing and I am looking forward to having my teen work through this site.

You can also subscribe to their list so that when new activities become available you will be emailed of them at that time.  Also be sure to check out the Additional Activities to see a plethora of things to explore.

We just can't wait to get started on some of these. And if you really want to dive in deeper check out the other topics; Playground, Brain & Behavior, Complex Systems, Science Education, and Science & Culture. I hope you find the site as interesting as we do~

*update: one more resource I would like to share is a non profit organization that is called The Teaching Channel. It has videos to view for all grade levels (including highschool) and is free when you sign up. It is funded by the Gates Foundation.
Other Resources to use:
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute: yourgenome.org
Biology Web
Lehigh University: Biology Web links ( pls note, there are a few that are no longer valid but many are still very useful) 

Happy Science Learning!

5 comments:

Janet Sedano said...

This is interesting. I wish I'd known of this last year when we covered Biology. My kids and I love Apologia, also. I think these are books that we won't sell for a long time. My son especially likes going back and reading the middle school books, like the ones on Land Animals, Flying Creatures, and others. Great curricula.
We're studying Anatomy this year. I've been using http://www.spellingcity.com/ to create vocabulary words from the unit studies. They play games like Match-It definitions to sentences. It's really helped my kids to play these games or do the worksheets using the word lists I create to do better on the tests. It helps them have a better understand the meaning of the scientific vocabulary and terminology.
Thanks for sharing this information. If you have any to share for Anatomy, I'm always on the lookout for new things to use to reinforce what we're studying.

Learners at Home said...

I will definitely be posting more on our Biology experience/learning so stay tuned! :)

All The Best,

Tracey

Learners at Home said...

here is a start: http://www.anatomyarcade.com/index.html

All The Best,

Tracey

Learners at Home said...

Janet,
Here is yet another link for anatomy that you might find helpful it is from the above link I posted about:http://www.innerbody.com/
hope this is helpful~

Janet Sedano said...

Thank you!!! :)

You might like these~

Popular Posts