Sunday, October 2, 2011

Human Body Unit- some resources to share

We started our Human Body Unit this week.  Here is a list of resources I am using for this unit with my 12yo.

We are using as our spine a unit study from Intellego Studies: Human Body Vol I ( we will be working Volume II and Volume III but later on breaking in between for some Chemistry and Physics units for a balance) I absolutely LOVE these unit studies.


Other supplements we are picking and choosing from:

Otters Elementary Science Curriculum: Human Body
This is a full human body on its own OR can be used as a supplement like I am doing. It has some great links and ideas much like Intellego has. Was put together by a homeschool mom for her younger son. I think its fantastic as well.
Note: if your planning on a Human Body Unit Study and have or wish to work also at a higher level here is one that is for Highschool aged learners: Big Otters Science Curriculum upon request from readers she also created a unit for the younger learners: Little Otters Science Curriculum all the bases are covered!

Here are some Science Printables we are using for our unit:
Guest Hollow science printables
Activity Village- has a few printables we can use
Super Teachers Worksheets has some printables as well.


Books we are using for our Unit:
The Human Body for Every Kid, by Janice Vancleave
The Usborne Complete Book of the Human Body
The Body Book: Easy to Make Hands on Models
Blood and Guts, by Linda Allison
We are planning on adding many library books also which I can add as we find and use them.

Videos
National Geographic
Human Body Videos

Links to use for learning about the Human Body:
Human Body Lapbook
Science for Kids: Human Body
Body Systems
Science with Me - has both information and some printables also.
Discovery - Human Body Explorer - my son loves this site I think we might just have to pick up the DVD's!
Get Body Smart- this is a wow site.  A bit advanced but my teen can use this perhaps later on so it is a keeper. I suppose you would say this would be a "stretch" moment :)
Kids Health, How the Body Works - great information here too.
Human Body from .gov  - free teaching resources this is another stretch for us some information would be more appropriate for an older learner. Useful for pictures as well.
Tour of the Human Body~ this is another really good site in how it is broken down.
Body Systems ~

I have many if not most or all of these links here all in one place also.

**update~ I knew it, I knew it... I should not have checked this ad in my email box, lol ~ here is a My Body Lapbook I just bought from Currclick to add to our resources. My son loved this!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

tracey, thanks for all the interesting stuff. let me just ask, how much of your day do you devote to this science unit? 45 min. per day?4 days a week?
Peggy

Learners at Home said...

for this particular unit - (this is specific for my 12yo) we work at this point one day per week about 2-3 hours. Thats all in one day. I know it sounds like alot but he likes working this way. I leave it up to him. My teen works on science about 45- 1 hour or so a day. He likes it spread out more but tends to like to work History (since it is done in a group with us) all in one day which consists of 2-3 hours or so. My teen's schedule is more balanced in that he works his science daily. Hope this helps a bit
Tracey

You might like these~

Popular Posts