Monday, October 3, 2011

Grammar Chat~

One subject/skill that is really not amusing or fun to my teen is Grammar. I am sure many can sympathize with me when I say, my teen basically can't stand doing it.

I have found a few things to remedy his distaste for Grammar. I thought I would share these resources with my readers~


Grammar for my teen never seemed to make any sense.  Sure I did try making up a sentence using incorrect grammar. That didn't work, he would just laugh and say  "Your being so stupid! it should be this"! but he couldn't explain why~!

We tried the color coding and that wasn't very amusing either~ then I heard about Grammar Revolution and we worked through Elizabeth's Basic Grammar Program and he seemed to begin to "get it" and not mind it as much.

I then decided I really wanted to integrate his Grammar much more with his actual writing. Not keep it as such a separate skill/subject. I was observing him while working with Andrew with IEW and he really seemed to pull things together while using it more in context rather than randomly abstract things from random sentences.

Because of what I saw I picked up IEW's Fix-It program and we work this while also using the Blue Book of Grammar for rules and referencing. (which for us we can use as little memory hooks or even anchors when it comes to remembering how to find something) We are learning the Rules for Grammar, but I try and teach them more as "tips" because then I found if we didn't call them rules then he isn't feeling like he is being "made" to do something, but rather a tip can be helpful and even used as a trick to find something. Much like a hint for a puzzle your working on.

Upon working with these new things I am seeing a shift in his feelings about Grammar, even saying "this isn't so bad", or " that's it today"? yup, learning grammar doesn't have to be like a root canal. You can integrate what they learn into proofreading with them their writings. Reinforcing lessons already learned by chatting more about what you go over when writing or "doing".

I do alot of "reminders" for example while working in his science ( his core subject) his science text had a wonderful example of how to use indentation for paragraphs, something he never really "got".  I showed him how this author uses indentation to his advantage and how each paragraph was more or less a different thought added to his writing, yet it all seemed to work together under one particular topic. HE GOT IT.

This kind of integrating and brief examples is what many learners need to help them along to understand such abstract learning. YES, even for older children~ :)

Online practice is another fun, quick and easy way to just sort of build upon those skills already learned. Here is a couple links I found to help me do this so far~ (these two are my favorites so far)

Online Writing Lab from Owl - these are wonderful comprehensive exercises you can do online. My son writes his sentences out just to make it more multi-sensory. A helpful component for special needs children.


This site works along with using the Blue Book of Grammar. Its helpful for reviewing the skills and you can take an online quiz.









For more online practice, we have used Daily Grammar and my teen works the sentences out by writing them.  These exercises are quick, easy and full of ways to reference so we can go back and look up things. We really have liked it.

I hope some of these things help in your considerations over the topic of Grammar.

1 comment:

Fatcat said...

These are great! Thanks for sharing!

You might like these~

Popular Posts