Thursday, January 27, 2011

Another Read Aloud Book to Share- and Thinking through the Benefits of Read Alouds

Photo Credit
We started yet another read aloud this afternoon. Tumtum and Nutmeg Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall.  by Emily Bearn and illustrated by Nick Price. 

Its a delightful story about two mouses, Tum Tum and Nutmeg who live in Nuthouse Hall.

We actually were going to begin reading this together a few months back in the Fall but we got wrapped up in another book, so today I brought this out again ~ ( upon finishing our recent Christmas read aloud " The  Great Christmas Kidnapping Caper" by Jean Van Leeuwen) it seems we are back into our mouse stories "kick" again. 

I noticed while reading the Christmas Caper to my youngest ( who just turned twelve last month) that my older son would  come over and park himself on the couch when I would be reading, to kind of check, out and listen to the story.  So I thought perhaps he might enjoy listening and sharing in this read aloud with the two of us.  He was very interested. We had a wonderful hour sitting and reading and chatting about some new words and discussing how the author uses specific words to create a more vivid setting while painting this wonderful "picture" we have in our minds with her words.  

The boys immediately were taken with Tumtum and Nutmeg, even giggling over the descriptions of the characters ~ it was really wonderful.   We plan to read a few chapters a day and even take turns reading to each other (which we often do) also. 

Coincidentally I just found this article written by Lee Binz from The HomeScholar  
and thought I might share her insights into reading aloud as well. 

I think there are many benefits to reading out loud and often flip through my book by Jim Trelease " The Read Aloud Handbook".     


I was just discussing with my husband the benefits of having the boys listen and experience reading aloud~ I really think reading aloud helps create better writers and thinkers, it helps to provide a consistent model for children who can "hear" words written correctly and how words can be very powerful when used proficiently.   


During our conversation, we decided that "Dad" will also add to our reading aloud, at dinner time he will read aloud/share articles or stories from various resources in the newspaper, or on the internet that he feels appropriate.  I loved the idea and love even more his enthusiasm to contribute  to our reading aloud as well. 


Happy Reading! 



2 comments:

Fatcat said...

We love read alouds and my kids are now 12, 14 and 18. We are currently doing The Chronicles of Narnia.

Learners at Home said...

Inspirational~ I love it ! Now that is a series I really need to add to our list.
Warmly,

Tracey

You might like these~

Popular Posts