Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Student Organization with Microsoft OneNote ~

We have been a bit busy at our house lately. I had recently gotten a new laptop because I wanted my 13 year old to be able to work off of his own laptop and be more independent with his studies.
He enjoys the computer very much and prefers typing and using the computer much more than traditional learning with workbooks, notebooks etc,.

I had been looking a while back for some sort of online tool that would help me remove some of the paper we were dealing with when it comes to planning, organizing and working with our studies.
As many homeschoolers know, you can have mountains of papers your dealing with and while binders are wonderful, there are only so many pages you can put in those binders and the room binders take up can really be alot!

So as I looked around to the various tools that are online, Homeschool Tracker, HomeShedtrack, and others I just couldn't find one that fit what I was looking for.
[a virtual place for my son to organize, work and plan online for all his studies]
Then a friend of mine, from an e-group posted back to me about a program she uses for her boys called OneNote.  I have not heard of it before but decided to take a look and really liked it.
My computer I was working on, however, was not compatible for using Microsoft OneNote, that is not until now~ both my sons and my new laptop both have and are compatible with OneNote and I was thrilled.
I have been working and learning more and more about this program all week long.  I just love it.  I first realized I needed to learn all the specifics on how to use the program so I immediately went online and tried to find video tutorials to learn how to use it.
The program comes with Microsoft Office 2003 ( this is the older version but, ( as was explained to me) is approximately 80% consistent with how the newer version works)
My new laptop has the updated Microsoft 2010 so I have the newer version which I really like as well and is just as easy from what I have used so far, it has a few more "bells and whistles" but the other version is just as helpful for my teen.
Here are some that I found and also others that were shared/recommended to me by my friend Cindy~
Learn OneNote in 90 Seconds - a quick video to see what it does
Making the Switch to OneNote 2010
Demo: OneNote 2007
A Review of Microsoft 2007

School Tube Videos:







One Note Tutorial #1
One Note Tutorial #2
One Note Tutorial #3

It took some time as I worked and learned about OneNote to see just how helpful this tool could be for us.
I plan on using it on my laptop to outline all our learning lessons, I can add websites, graphics, draw my own designs you name everything you can do with a traditional notebook (pen/paper) you can do with OneNote.

For my teen I set up his Notebook for all his lessons one notebook for all his subjects listed in the tabs. Under each tab I created separate pages for him to do his work ( taking notes, written narrations, adding graphics, cutting and pasting website resources, capturing images etc..)and further in underneath those pages you can click on the page and create subpages as well.
There is also separate tabs ( like you would have as dividers in a notebook) for projects or research papers which he can work on right from his laptop also.
There is even a tab as a To Do for him to jot down reminders for things.

One of my favorite things I like is how with the new OneNote 2010 is you can "dock" your OneNote to the side of your desktop so while working on a site you can still have available your notebook to write things down and work off of, perfect for researching and doing essays.

We choose to do portfolios for our year end evaluations and I plan on using the print function and printing off pages to fill his portfolios~ these can also all be archived and saved for safe keeping in case of computer troubles. ( I am still learning how I will do this)

I cannot possibly list all the things you can do with OneNote but it really would be worth checking your own computer under your Microsoft Office files to see if you have this available to you.
It is going to save us alot of time, energy and money, I am so thankful for my online friends who share these wonderful things with me, thank you Cindy ~!

Happy Organizing ~ !

9 comments:

Cindy K. said...

I see you found the subpages! Good deal!

I don't know if you noticed or not, but OneNote has Section GROUPS so that you can have 2 levels of Sections. So you can make a Language Arts Section Group and divide it into separete Sections (Tabs) for Composition, Vocabulary, Spelling, etc.

Also, searching in OneNote is one of it's greatest advantages. It will search text in an image, text in audio recordings, and of course text that you have typed. If you used a tablet and stylus, it would search your handwriting as well! It's the fastest way to find things when your notebook starts getting large! :)

Learners at Home said...

I didn't see the section groups, I really need this where would I find how to do that?
as you said I would need this for like LA and History and Science. ~ I hadn't seen I could do this but I am going back again to look at all the tutorials and as I said I am just still learning more and more about the things OneNote has to offer! ~ thanks SO much for all your help.
I think once we get up and moving with this it is going to be such a lifesaver! :)
Especially when I think about starting Highschool : )

onenote review said...

I also started using onenote and have fallen in love with it. It's a huge timeasaver when you are grabbing data from a number of sources. It runs on multiple platforms. the latest version OneNote2010 launch with advanced features over the previous versions (OneNote 2003 and OneNote 2007) is its ability to sync over the web. You can have password protect a section. You can also add tags to any part of a page and search for the tags later across a single notebook or all notebooks.

Deb Resnick said...

I use OneNote for work and home. You can do screen clips really well with it. When you want a screen shot, press the Windows key and S. Then you can highlight the part you want to clip, and it automatically pastes into OneNote. Another great tool, particularly for blogging, is EverNote - https://www.evernote.com/. It's free and works on just about everything. When you're out on the web and you see something you want to blog about, you can right click on it and click Send to EverNote. It pastes a note or the whole page into EverNote, and syncs it with whatever computers/devices you have enabled. Complete with links, for ease of posting.

Learners at Home said...

Deb that is a great idea to use Evernote for blogging, I love it ! :) tracey

Maureen said...

Wow! You are more of a power user than I am. I haven't convinced any of my kids to try One Note. I use One Note to organize my blogging notes, crafting inspirations, recipes, and miscellaneous things that I used to keep in various Word, Excel, and Adobe files. I'm glad you wrote this as I can send people your way when they ask about it. Every time I try to describe One Note, words fail me.

Learners at Home said...

In the beginning when I was considering OneNote it was mainly to look at it for my son who struggles with writing ( the mechanics) he types great( I think he is now up to 48 words wpm or so) writing is very tiring for him, although he "can" do it, I just wanted to find something to help him excel and not work through his weaknesses so much. OneNote did that for us.
He loves the computer and his work has really taken off since using OneNote. He does mainly all his lessons through written narration we don't use any worksheets etc.. so OneNote fits him very well.
For me, I plan on using OneNote for my own work as well in my studio. ~ still learning though about all it has to offer. :)

Karen D. said...

I know this is an old post, but I figured I would comment anyways. My three homeschool elem. students use OneNote. I set up a checklist in one section and can make assignments into hyperlinks that take them to the website they need or to another section of their OneNote where notes or worksheets are located. For example, my 7 year old will have "Alphabetize spelling words." on her to do list. If she clicks on these words, it takes her to her spelling folder with a form I created. She then fills in the words in alphabetical order.

I have the kids OneNote notebooks shared with mine so I can fill in their assignments from my computer. I also use OneNote to store my lesson plans, curriculum lists, and goals.

There is so much OneNote can do and I am just scratching the surface.

Learners at Home said...

Karen~ even though this is an older post I enjoy hearing how others are using OneNote. I love how your using it~ Even now, we still continue using OneNote and just recently starting Learning Journals in them so that the teens can document all their delight directed learning. I figure this is the only thing I could think of to keep up with them :) Feel free to keep sharing ideas you might have I love hearing them.

You might like these~

Popular Posts