Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Our New Pocket Assignment System- for Visual and Tactile Learners

A New Pocket Assignment System
(its not fancy but could be a powerful tool)

We have been on vacation this week and are really enjoying our much needed time off. I decided to try and take some time to get my planning and organizing out of the way this week, since when we come back from our break we will only be doing formal studies for another six weeks or so.
After that we will be on our summer studies which consist of interest directed and also unit studies that are fun to do for the summer months.
****************************************
I was reading a new blog (Desert Ramblings) that my friend Cindy had just started and am already "hooked" as they say~ she just started the blog and her topics so far have really been a few things I had been interested in and have been think about most recently. She began explaining about how one of her sons was having trouble with transitioning from one subject to the next throughout his day~ I have a learner like that and became very interested in her new idea~ a pocket chart assignment system.

I really liked this idea so I decided to explore this a bit further to see if this could work for one of my boys who always has struggled with his lists and keeping track of where he was going next.
I thought this might really work well for him.
Both boys are SO very different, one does very well with his lists and the other just seems to get confused so I could see I needed to individualize things a bit more for them.

Here is a picture of my version of the pocket chart assignment system. I did not get the pocket organizer because I wanted to be sure this worked well for him before investing the 25.00 or 30.00 that these cost. Once I see it works well I will go ahead and order this for him ~

An explanation of how it might work for us~
*I made pockets for each subject. (labeling each one )

* Below each subject I added another pocket with a "red check" on it ( this is his finished pocket)
* Underneath these pockets I have a pocket for each day of the week that has his daily assignments in it. ( each envelope is color coded so the cards match the day of the week)

*On each colored card I wrote his daily assignments, (these are the basic assignments not specific to a particular lesson but rather the daily requirement needed ie., - Math: "do one lesson in your Teaching Textbooks". ) when I need to give further details I will attach a (same color) post it note to the card with more specific directions for him.

* The clothes pins have written on the "notes" and "work saved". ( As I was writing up his lessons I could see how this could help with time management and organization, because on some days if he sees he would rather work longer in, lets say, history then he could take his "typing card" and move it to his "work saved" clip so he knows he still has to do that lesson for the week.

I really think this will help him learn how to manage his time, organize his subjects and because of the tactile ( moving the lesson card to the finished pocket) ( moving a lesson card to his clips) and the visual ( color coded cards for each day of the week so he can "see" at a glance what the day is and what is needed) he will really begin to see and learn better habits for managing his studies and taking control of his own lessons.

My other son has no interest at all in working his lessons this way~ he is quite happy with using his checklist I had created for him that has his whole week laid out for him and also is color coordinated which I will share in my next post as I continue to share my organizing ideas~

No comments:

You might like these~

Popular Posts