Sunday, March 14, 2010

Year 7 Book lists ~

I really think I could actually keep right on going with this list. But I had to stop somewhere. This list only encompasses Economics, History, Science and Fictional Reading and some Math Readers as well.

I think after having looked over and picked up BFIAR ( Beyond Five in a Row) I believe I could honestly pick up a book and use it as a whole lesson while integrating all the subjects just from that one book. It is really so much fun to do, however that would be perfect for Years 1-3 possibly or even 4 but my 13 yo needs a much more structured list for of topics to cover now the he is getting older. Not that I won't still do this, we always do and it leads to many bunny trails which some really despise but I just love, because for us this is when the real interest led learning can happen.

As I had mentioned in my previous post I have been working on their book lists and think I am just about finished with Year 7. Here is our list so far. ( I do not plan to attempt to have my son read every single selection and some of the books will be spread over the year if not into more than two years).

(Resources I used to make my book lists so far is: Mater Amabillis, Ambleside Online Pre Year 7, Penny Gardner, "For the Love of Literature" by Maureen Whittman and The Book Peddler)

Year 7 * Texts and programs using: Apologia General Science & Oak Meadow 6

Economics/Government
Our Supreme Court- A History with 14 Activities by Richard Panchyk
Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? Rick Maybury
House Mouse, Senate Mouse - Peter & Cheryl Shaw Barnes

Science
Blood and Guts by Linda Allison
The Story of Medicine by Anne Rooney

Great Inventors and their Inventions - Baldwin Project

*Historical Science*
Science of the Past Series - Science in Mesopotamia, by Carol Moss
Science in Ancient Egypt, by Geraldine Woods
Science in Ancient Rome, by Jacqueline Harris
Science in Ancient China, by George Beshore
Science in India, by Melissa Stewart
Archimedes and the Door of Science
Secrets of the Universe Series- Liquids and Gases: Principles of Fluid Mechanics
Matter and Energy: principles of Matter and Thermodynamics
Thermodynamics
Modern Physics
Magnetism
The Seashell on the Mountaintop, by Alan Cutter ( Geology)

Nature Study

Keeping a Nature Journal, by Clare Walker Leslie
Handbook of Nature, by Ann Comstock

Classic Literature/Fiction/Free Reading

Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain
Around the World in Eighty Days, Jules Verne
Ivanhoe, by Walter Scott
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
The Scarlet Pimperel, by Baroness Orczy
Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens
Shakespeare - The Merchant of Venice
Hamlet
Shakespeare Stories by Leon Garfield
The Witch of Blackbird Pond, by Elizabeth George
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare
Hatchett by Gary Paulsen
Big Red by Jim Kjelgaard
Captain Courageous by Rudyard Kipling

History ( World) - Using specifically OM 6 Ancient Civilizations

The Story of Mankind by Van Loon - Baldwin Project
An Island Story HE Marshall- Baldwin Project
The Story of the Greeks by Helen Guerber - Baldwin Project
The Story of the Romans by Helen Guerber - Baldwin Project
Story of the World, Vol 3 Modern Times by Susan Wise Bauer
Story of the World, Vol 4 Modern Age by Susan Wise Bauer
The Odyssey

( Fictional Literature)
Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
The Rainbow People, Laurence Yep
D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths
The Adventures of Robin Hood
A Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angli

American History - Using only living books for learning this time period in history.

The Country of Ours; Story of the United States (avail online) *we started this week/loves it
The History of the US and It's People, by Edward Eggleston
Inventing a Nation by Gore Vidal
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane( Civil War)
Braving the Fire by John B. Severance (Civil War novel)
American Heroes: Joshua Chamberlain and the Amer. Civil War
The Civil War Almanac , World Almanac Publications
Coming to America: The Story of Immigration by Betsy Maestro
The Colors of Freedom: Immigrations Stories by Janet Bode
Across America on An Emigrant Train by Jim Murphy Clarion
Industrial Revolution a Living History Book by John Clare Harcourt
Kids at Work: Lewis Hines and his Crusuade against Child Labor Russell Freedman
First World War by John D. Clare
Restless Spirit: The Life and Work of Dorothy Lange by Elizabeth Partridge
But No Candy by Gloria Houston (WWII)
Hiroshima No Pika, by Toshi Maruki William & Morrow
Let the Celebrations Begin!, by Margaret Wild
Lily's Crossing, by Patricia Reilly Giff

I do plan on adding to this list and we may not read all of these but this is kind of where I am starting. I am sure we may when working on a topic go and find some really helpful books at our library also so the list will certainly get longer~

2 comments:

Diane said...

Wow, that is a very impressive list.
Blessings
Diane

Learners at Home said...

I doubt we will get through all of it, but I will just keep on adding and we can keep on working through it for the next year.
Some of these I really enjoyed reading about, I think he will really like some of these.
A few I will be doing as a read aloud also because I think that his younger brother would love to hear some of these stories as well. :)

You might like these~

Popular Posts